Geography affects most defense decisions. Whether it is to identify potential terrorist targets, the object of battlefield strikes or the location of a new military operation that will be least harmful to the environment, geographical factors are always taken into account account.
In recent years, the amount of space information systems dedicated to users and operators has significantly increased to provide them a set of comprehensive, flexible and connected tools in order to:
- Integrate data easily from various sensors (antennas, drones, satellites …),
- Make advanced analyses,
- Work collaboratively,
- Manage geolocated data,
- Give users access to tools and interfaces adapted to their profile and mission.
Christophe Gomart, lieutenant general at the head of the Directorate of Military Intelligence for more than three years, has sheared at the GIS 2016 the positioning of his service as one of the best artist of the world in the information.
General Gomart – DMI – Plenary Session GIS 2016
In recent months, the concept of "Smart Bases" has been inaugurated by the defense bases. This is intended to combine new technologies and increased operational capabilities of a base.
It is about opening up to the civilian world in order to consolidate the citizen bond by giving birth to business incubators with access to services to support them. In exchange, the armies benefit from innovations and technological watches that are essential to them.
Maps will be dynamic and updated in real time. Thanks to this, you will be able to:
- Understand differently the environment of the theater of operation and allow the diffusion these data within the units,
- Collect a lot of information that will then be processed and used by the Major States and the Special Forces,
- Observe the terrain and make updates in real time, allowing GIS to adapt and improve communication between offices,
- Plan and conduct operations using satellite imagery, map data, ortho-rectified imagery and digital models of the operation fields.
- Through mapping, create analysis files and thematic maps.
- Analyse the terrain to make the physical and human description of the zones of commitments and actions.
- Use topography to describe and represent the shapes of the earth surface.